Well, today was the first Sunday we've been with the Middle Schoolers. We walked in to confirmation class and each got a table of about 9 kiddos. I had girls and Jon got the crazy boys :-). The teacher asked the kids to welcome us, and handed us a teachers manual. We dicussed how to study the Bible. We had a lesson and then broke into groups to talk about techniques and methods we could use to be more effective in Bible Study. Of course, the team leader (which was me), had to lead the discussion, get them thinking, and jotting down ideas. I had a blast! The girls were very receptive to me. They stayed on task, and actually came up with very good ideas. I had mostly 8th graders. I loved hearing the sweet answers of some of the younger guys at nearby tables during share time. They had brilliant ideas, and they were just a bit timid in sharing, but whereas in high school they might get picked on, the other kids were encouraging them and being supportive. I like how much energy they have - reminds me of my own kids, but there is more intellect there so we can have more grown-up conversations. Jon said the boys didn't focus well, and he let them drift off focus rather than correct them, which was probably wise our first time in there. I loved it. The girls were attentive, receptive, open, warm, and I could tell that I was a role-model in their eyes. They watched me closely, gave me warm smiles when I would focus on them, and while they still had a childlike appreciation of learning, they try to mask it slightly with the "coolness" of being older. They actually fluctuated alot from child to adult, and I found it endearing. I think I'll really love middle schoolers. They are smart, eager, and funny - and it's a little watching your child playing dress-up in your clothes. Can't wait for Wednesday night in the gym.
No comments:
Post a Comment