Thursday, March 13, 2008

Update

Well, it's starting to feel real. I paid off a pretty big loan from Harding yesterday which made it feel I'm really done with school. It felt good. Jon is in a out-briefing class which is teaching him how to do resumes, and cover letters among other things. When he brought his sample resume home, I used it to create mine. I also did a sample "Letter of Intent". So now I'm ready to start applying to schools. Just have to get some addresses of references, and if any of you reading this get a call or form to fill out....talk me up ...okay? LOL.

We made a decision that will be very beneficial yesterday. There is another 5 week class at the Weapons training school in College Station that occurs May-June. That's when we would have been moving so we decided to go ahead and get Jon slotted for that entire class (which is a nice chunk of change), plus they always pay for an extended stay hotel that's very nice, so we can just bunk with Jonathan while he works. I'm going to enroll the kids all in part-time daycare. I already made calls yesterday to get them on waiting lists and slotted for when we get there. Then while they are chilling in daycare, I can travel to San Anton for interviews as I get them, and Jon can pick up the kids. I'll be able to easily interview for College Station,as well since we'll be living there already.

TMO will hold our things in storage here, and it will take a week once we notify them of our address to get our stuff to us. We won't need much but our clothes, and computers for the hotel since it has a kitchen. There's a laundry facility and Belle can come too for a few bucks. The money we'll save on hotel will pay for the daycare, and if we end up staying in College Station permanently, the kids will already be enrolled in daycare & before/after care - so I kill two birds so to speak!

Plus, every weekend we can drive to S.A. and check out the area and look for a house if it looks like that's where we're going to end up. At that time he'll either be hired already by TEEKs or know for sure, and if he doesn't know yet, or wasn't hired then he can still stay on that 5 weeks and work. There's also a job fair in S.A. June 17 & 18 that lots of S.A. districts will be present at so we'll be able to each take a day to attend if he's not hired by TEEKs. One district in S.A. plans to hire 1,000 teachers before fall.

Now we know an EXACT date when we will be moving (the day the class starts), and we will be in the area, in a safe place to consider all of our options and get settled. With the kids in daycare part of the week, I can busy myself with interviews, getting general science lesson plans together, check out the local schools in C.Station, and houses. Plus, there's a pool so I'll be doing a little educational reading poolside some days. I haven't been without Braden since his birth, so I will definately squeeze in a little pool time before the school year starts.

We'll enroll Bree for a few weeks in college station schools if necessary to finish out the TX school year. So now, just have to get after those applications! This is really really happening!

:-) Since you made it through all of this...I have to share a few pictures for your trouble. Here are some recent ones I've taken. They used my ironing board as a HIDEOUT and while it was so cute, I later discovered they had broken it! Oh, well, I didn't really want to iron anyway!





1 comment:

Collin and Christy said...

haha, funny you mention my mom getting teary eyed when she sees us all together...you know her well!! I love that your kids are so creative using things as forts and hide outs! Those are some of my favorite memories growing up!!