Thursday, March 19, 2009

Ghost of Christmas to Come

Today, I attended a parent conference of one of my student's with Asperger's. I was frustrated at the lack of services we had available to her son, to MY student. Our district doesn't view Asperger's as qualifying for special ed. Luckily for Braden, we are moving him to Schertz-Cibolo next year. Hearing his mother talk about him today, and hearing all of the similarities to my own son, was both comforting and painful. It was like the Ghost of Christmas to Come was before me, and showing me Braden's life in 7th grade. Yes, I know every child is different, but if you knew how much was the same... Are we doomed? No, of course not. But unless this is happening to you and your child, well, you just don't get it. You can't. I didn't.

I have a very close friend already who's child is severely Autistic. I didn't get it when my child was "normal". Now I feel I know her much better, and I cringe at some of my well-meaning advice. I found out a few moments ago, ANOTHER one of my good friends has a son around the same age, who is also being diagnosed with ASD.

This is becoming too common! Our children are being diagnosed with Autism at an alarming rate, and it has to STOP. We have to find the cause, the cure... Our children deserve our awareness, our concern, and our effort to figure out a disorder that is becoming a bit to prevalent within my own circle of friends and family. To my fellow sisters with very quirky, lovable children we can't live without - we will hang in there, we will encourage our children to reach their fullest potential, and we will help spread Autism Awareness by telling our story and sharing our special children with the world! I never thought Autism would touch my own family, and here I am with my beautiful little boy...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope Braden will be OK in the future . I googled it and i found this interesting Fact "The prevalence of ASD is about 6 per 1,000 people, with about four times as many boys as girls. The number of people known to have autism has increased dramatically since the 1980s, partly due to changes in diagnostic practice; the question of whether actual prevalence has increased is unresolved." Best wishes for your boy. I hope his ASD will not get severe as the ones i saw on the Internet. I hope there is a treatment. And i am a supporter to spread the word about this as well.

Marie said...

Thinking about you. Bing in SpEd- I completely understand everyone's frustrations from both sides. I have had several trainings on what is available to parents whose children are diagnosed with Autism and ASD and how to reach and teach them. I wish there was more. You will be in our prayers are you begin the journey

Anonymous said...

Hey Dawn! You know I hear ya! I agree that it is just amazing how many kids have ASD now!!! It is just mind boggling. I do think part of it is better diagnosis but I think it is more just MORE kids have it.

Praying for you and thinking about you all the time. I will e-mail you my phone number so we can talk more about it. I lost yours:(