Friday, January 18, 2008

Warning: A bit of nursing terminology

I had been waiting to post with something interesting, but since the toilet escapade, the kids have been pretty mellow. One funny tidbit from yesterday...and a few days before...Zane had his first speech consult and the therapist pointed to a picture of a bandaid. Zane said, "that's a bandaid". Therapist said, "Yes, he has a band-aid on his boo-boo".

IMMEDIATE GIGGLES from Zane. Why you ask? Well, when I nursed Braden, our children coined the term "boo-boos" to refer to mommy's chest. As you can see, this has presented a few problems. The therapist gave him a confused look until he pointed to his chest and said, "you wear band-aids on your boo boos?" followed by giggles...she moved on pretty quickly to the next picture as I quickly whispered..."I nursed>>"

Yesterday, while getting a haircut, the word came up again. The stylist asked him to sit still so she wouldn't give him a boo-boo....Pet names are cute unless and until they are similar in text or content to another word in our society. If everyone said Breast and Cut or Blister, I guess we wouldn't be in this predicament, but I think I would prefer boo-boo that can be interpreted in another way, than...."those are mommy's BREASTS".

Another funny comment that a few of you have already heard. We had a conversation earlier this year with Zane regarding a name for his "boy parts". He had been calling them a pet name, and while we brainstormed for something accurate, yet appropriate....he screamed...."I know, I know...let's call it my snake!"

I'll close on that note! We settled with "privates" and left it at that! But everytime I hear the word snake, I giggle inside...just a wee wee bit!

No comments: