Friday, December 21, 2007

Unequal Gifts

Today marks the first day of Christmas break. We've gotten a few more Christmas cards than last year, and I actually sent out a few myself this year. I'm really good at sending out photos via email, but put me in front of a card, envelope, and stamp - and I immediately begin procrastinating.

Zane and Bree both had their little parties at school. On a funny or embarrassing note (depending on how you look at it), it seems I made a Secret Santa blunder. Zane's Pre-K each drew names for Secret Santa this year. I heard one of the mom's ask the teacher about how much to spend. The answer was, "Just go to the Dollar Store and get a little something. This is a very hard time of year for most of us - I know it is for me". Well, when I heard this I thought for once I need to be "conservative" (LOL) and decided to get something smaller so as to not make someone else feel badly at what might be considered a more costly gift.

Zane drew a little girl's name, whom I was unfamiliar with. I finally decided to get something MY KIDS LOVE....I got a little goody bag and filled it with Christmas tattoos, a Lip Gloss necklace, two Christmas stamps, a Christmas pen, and a little container of holiday bubbles. Her mom ended up getting Zane a very nice motorized motorcycle, individually wrapped AND a very nice medium size remote control Jeep.

I felt so horrible handing over my little cheesy "party favor bag" full of junk in turn for a very heavy Christmas bag with two large individually wrapped gifts tucked inside. I tried to go conservative for once, and ended up wanting to climb under the table. I know the holiday is supposed to be about "the thought that counts" but to be the one with the unequal gift - brings about such a feeling of shame and inadequacy.

I can't help but compare this situation of unequal gifts to the gift of life our Father has given us. We come before him bearing our bargain store gifts or no gift at all and still hold our hands out. We feel shame at not being able to match the love He shows for us. I had intended this to be a funny story, but God had other ideas. Thank You Lord for showing me what Christmas is truly about, and although I can never match the Gift you've given me, I can give you all I have with a grateful heart, and know that that it is sufficient until Thee. Worrying about if our gift is the right cost or size or equal value de-means the value of the gift itself. Instead, we should focus on warming the heart of the person we are giving to. That is the true spirit of giving and that is the true meaning of Christmas.

Enjoy the pics from Zane's party, and Merry Christmas!


Mrs. Kathy - Zane's teacher. Her birthday is on Christmas!

Zane and the friend he swapped presents with.

Zane's presents.

Zane making Mrs. Kathy laugh. He kept saying he "wants to die- to go to heaven", I think more for shock value. He constantly says things that are "attention-seeking" and I find myself at a loss for words. We had a talk about death lately since his great-grandpa is sick, and I guess it stuck.

Braden sat quietly and enjoyed his icing while we tried to subdue the "death comments" from his bigger brother. At least it got my mind off of the presents. Anyway, I hope all of you have a wonderful holiday. Our love, The Sellers

No comments: